Name: Caleb Castro
Degree: Master’s in Integrated Marketing Communications
Graduation Year: 2016
Hometown: Portland, Oregon
Current City: Orlando, Florida
Job: GolfNow Plus Senior Specialist, GolfChannel
Who do you admire and why?
Leonardo Dicaprio. A talented and wise man who uses his fame and wealth to better the planet.
What Jeopardy category could you clear, no problem?
Taylor’s Treat Tuesday Muffins
Best account to follow on social media?
Tesla / Elon Musk
Best piece of advice you’ve received?
Ask for forgiveness, not permission.
Tell us about your job:
GolfNow Plus Specialist focus on one of two fields, Brand or Revenue. In my role, I focus on Brand. It is my job to grow a course’s presence online through advertising and marketing campaigns that include all forms of media. We utilize Emails, Websites, Social Platforms, Text Messages, and Mobile Applications to grow a course’s voice. With our help, they are able to streamline the company image to uniquely reflect their business online. Some of the responsibilities of the role include:
- Brand development, web site traffic growth, web site UI and advertising revenue
- Create brand strategies and statistics systems
- Provide analysis and build golf course email marketing and social statistics
- Building each client’s golf course database while managing social media and online listings for search optimization and other online assets
- Manage reviews and listings to oversee golf course reputation & online presence
- Work in tandem with revenue specialist to market and promote various tee time specials, events, and outings, while finding areas of opportunity to drive rounds in the underutilized locations
- Manage GolfNow PLUS partners’ tee time pricing, revenue strategies, social platforms and overall brand which includes increased search engine optimization
- Manage the tactical execution of established GolfNow PLUS strategies and golf course prescriptions
- Expert utilization of GolfNow Central inventory marketing management software
What does your average day look like?
Busy, very busy. I used to think that a 8 hour work day would drag, but I constantly find myself wanting to work more because the day flys by!
How did your education prepare you for your career?
I work in an intense marketing field that looks for results with analytics for each campaign. My degree prepared me to create, track, and report the success of research and campaigns. I look to check the monetary gain from all work produced by my team and show value in all aspects of the client accounts.
How has working in your industry changed the way you look at the world?
It’s a numbers game. Money talks and at the end of the day, its all that matters.
Who do you look to for inspiration?
Mike McCarley, the president of Golf Channel. He is one of the most successful marketers of all time. His past performance in the Olympic campaigns and Saturday Night Football are iconic.
How do you handle work-life balance?
Golf Channel prides itself on being a fun place to work. They give us countless opportunities to enjoy free tickets to events, go to tournaments, and get ridiculous amounts of swag to wear around. I try to let living in Orlando motivate me to go out and experience the city so I can come back to my job with new experience and motivation to create better more enticing campaigns.
What advice would you give yourself in college?
Do everything. There is never going to be another time in your life when you can get so many incredible opportunities in one spot. Study Abroad TWICE! Join every club! Go to every building! I loved FSU and did absolutely everything, and I still feel like there was more I could have done.