Florida Office of Early Learning Fall 2016
Who We Are:
The Florida Office of Early Learning dedicates its people, time and energy to ensuring access, affordability and quality of early learning services for the state’s children and families. Home to more than one million children under age 5, Florida welcomes nearly 600 newborns every day. As many as 700,000 Florida children attend some type of early learning program. We support these children, their families and the child care providers who serve them, through administration of 30 early learning coalitions across the state.
The Communications Intern will be responsible for assisting the Communications Director and Web Media Specialist with various communicative tasks. Tasks may include researching and writing newsletters, researching and drafting social media and/or assisting with special events.
- Self-motivated, dependable, responsible and able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Willing to learn and discover new ways to approach tasks.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Current student pursuing a degree in English, Communications, Public Relations or similar major.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs.
- Preferably knowledgeable in AP style writing.
- Preferably knowledgeable in ADA compliance.
- Knowledge in graphic design a plus.
- Researching and drafting short “blurbs” for the Early Learning Update newsletter.
- Researching and drafting various posts for social media including Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
- Maintaining and monitoring newsletter subscriber emails.
- Researching, drafting and formatting “daily clips.”
- Assisting the Communications Director and Web Media Specialist with various tasks and events as they occur.
This is a flexible, up to 20-hours per week, paid position located in the Florida Lottery building at 250 Marriott Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32301. Benefits include flexible scheduling, establishing an employment reference for future positions, building a portfolio for any internship requirements for your major and learning first-hand communication and public relation skills.
How to Apply
To apply for the Communications Intern position at the Florida Office of Early Learning, please email Koral Griggs at Koral.Griggs@oel.myflorida.com by Wednesday, August 17, 2016 with an attached resume and the following information:
- First and Last Name.
- Email and Phone Number.
- Current college you’re attending and major.
- Any previous or current internships.
- A brief description of why you are best suited for this position.
- Your available start date and the times and days you will be available for the fall 2016 semester.
Please note, interviews will take place the week of August 22, 2016. Those selected for the interview process will be assigned a writing task immediately following the interview. Please allot for at least one hour of time.