Call for Interns
Faculty and Graduate Student Services
Scholars Commons, Strozier Library
The Strozier Library Faculty and Graduate Student Services seek students in the MLIS program to volunteer, or pursue a for-credit unpaid internship with the Scholars Commons Department. The student will work with the Social Sciences Librarian for Political Science, Public Administration & Policy, International Affairs, and the Coordinator for Government Information to gain valuable experience in managing the Library’s Federal Depository Collection, as well as print and electronic resources in support of curricula at the College of Social Sciences. Summarized activities include:
- Collections Responsibilities
- Work with the Strozier Library Collections Associate in developing deselection policies for the Library’s depository collection of Federal, and United Nations materials.
- Coordinate with the Collections Access Department to implement the first phase of deselection of print Government documents.
- Under the supervision of the Coordinator for Government Information, and the Collections Associate, correct access links for Government Information in the FSU Libraries catalog.
- Web Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Library’s Marketing Department, redesign and manage the FSU Libraries’ Government Information website for community outreach and advanced research support.
- Help create subject research guides for specializations in political science, public administration and policy, and international affairs, and others as assigned by subject librarians for the humanities and social sciences
Necessary Skills & Interest
- Web design skills
- Interest in learning about Libguides
- Interest in collection management and development
The goal is to have two interns: 1 working with Government documents; and a second working on the website and Libguides. If a single intern emerges as the final candidate, responsibilities for Government documents and website management will be divided into areas of priority and carried out by the candidate.
For more information about the iSchool internship program, please contact Dr. Christine Koontz (Christie.Koontz@cci.fsu.edu). For information about the proposed duties, please contact: Mohamed Berray, Social Sciences Librarian, Strozier Library, firstname.lastname@example.org.