FloridaHSFootball.com is a multi-media online website publishing information on high school tackle football (men) and high school flag football (women) across all of Florida. FloridaHSFootball.com was launched in 2010 and has since grown into a leading online website within the high school sports media market. FloridaHSFootball.com currently has existing partnerships with USA TODAY High School Sports, ScoreStream and NFHS Network affiliate Varsity Sports Network among many others. At this time, FloridaHSFootball.com is seeking out interns who have an interest in sports journalism, sports photography, sports broadcasting or looking to gain experience in content publishing and learning how to use one of the most popular content management systems in the world using WordPress.
Currently, we have the following, non-paid, internship positions open to both students seeking credits and students who cannot receive credits, but still, have a desire to get experience with descriptions to post with students seeking internships. All internships can be completed remotely and do not require a student to visit an office as long as the requirements of the internship are being fulfilled. For the record of information for any potential requirements, FloridaHSFootball.com maintains a small office in Gainesville, Florida. Here is a listing of the internships positions we offer for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters year-round (for credit and non-credit):
A reporting intern will be required to complete several different tasks and assignments during the length of the internship. These tasks and assignments will vary depending on when the internship takes place and the needs of the intern. Possible assignments include, but are not limited to game reporting (in your area), feature reporting, interviews, breaking news and other content as deemed fit for the position. FOR FALL INTERNSHIPS, YOU MUST BE AVAILABLE ON FRIDAY NIGHTS FROM 6 PM TO MIDNIGHT FOR GAME COVERAGE!
A recruiting intern will be required to complete several different tasks and assignments during the length of the internship. The tasks and assignments will be similar in style to a reporting intern but instead will be focusing on reporting athletes that have made a name for themselves or in the process of making a name for themselves in the college football recruiting world. Examining film, watching athletes and interviewing athletes will be a key part of this position.
A photography intern will be required to complete several different tasks and assignments during the length of the internship. The tasks and assignments could be taking photos at Florida HS Football designated events, weekly games, media day events and other things we determined that need photographing. FOR FALL INTERNSHIPS, YOU MUST BE AVAILABLE ON FRIDAY NIGHTS FROM 6 PM TO MIDNIGHT FOR GAME COVERAGE!
An editing/content intern will work with the publisher to make sure content is properly edited and is published properly on FloridaHSFootball.com, plus help with content scheduling and make suggestions to help improve content on FloridaHSFootball.com. An intern in this capacity will need to be available during critical hours as agreed upon by the Publisher and the intern, including Friday nights if applying for the Fall Semester internship. Basics of Photoshop is a plus for interns in this capacity but is not a requirement.
A scores/content intern will be responsible for helping to report scores from a certain section of the state during the fall season (football) or spring season (flag football) as assigned to them. You will help collect and report scores using the powerful scoreboard platform that is provided by our Scoreboard Partners at ScoreStream. You will use social media networks, media outlets from around the state and contact information to help collect scores. In addition, you will be transmitting scores in real-time for use on the FloridaHSFootball.com Scoreboard Show to launch in Fall 2017. You must be available on Friday nights and a few shifts either on Thursdays or Saturdays during the fall. Availability for spring internships will vary depending on the game load for flag football on a particular day. FOR FALL INTERNSHIPS, YOU MUST BE AVAILABLE ON FRIDAY NIGHTS FROM 6 PM TO MIDNIGHT FOR GAME COVERAGE!
All applicants for an internship with FloridaHSFootball.com MUST meet the following requirements before acceptance into the internship program:
- Available for a minimum of 12 hours per week to a maximum of 24 hours per week, except Scores/Content Interns who need to be available for a minimum of 6 hours per week and up to a maximum of 10 hours per week. Almost all internships require no office hours, meaning you can work remotely.
- Must have a reliable source of transportation.
- Provide own laptop for all positions
- Provide own camera (semi-pro) for all photography related positions
- Have knowledge of basic journalism writing styles, including some knowledge of AP style.
- Have a basic understanding of social media platforms including Twitter and Facebook. All interns MUST have an active Twitter account that can be viewed by the public.
- 5 overall GPA in your college courses.
- Be able to receive course credit for your internship from your college, unless approved by FloridaHSFootball.com to intern under a non-credit internship.
- A copy of your resume must be provided.
- Provide 2-3 samples of your work in the application. For writing, editing and scores, please submit writing samples of your best work. For photographers, please submit photography samples of your best work.
- Provide a letter of recommendation/reference from your Internship adviser if applying for an internship for credit. Letters should state your current grade point average and requirements defined by your college or university to receive credit for an internship. A non-credit internship is allowed if you cannot earn credit for an internship at this time, but must at least provide at least two samples of work and a copy of current GPA from your school as a substitution for a letter of recommendation from Internship adviser.
- Complete the required Internship Application online at FloridaHSFootball.com (http://floridahsfootball.com/internships/). You may access the form by going to the form at the bottom to submit to us. At that time you may upload a scanned copy of your letter from your Internship adviser to submit to us or letters of recommendation and your resume.
- Sign an internship contract form that details your role as an intern with a confidentiality clause (to be completed after initial application and acceptance into the program).
PLEASE NOTE: All internships are NON-PAID positions and are open to those who further wish to enhance and learn new skills. Also, the completion of an internship with Florida HS Football DOES NOT guarantee future employment within the organization.
FloridaHSFootball.com does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, creed, religion, color or national origin of any applicant that applies for our internship program. We welcome all individuals to apply who feel they want to find ways to become better in the ever-growing and changing world sports coverage.
The internship application can be found here: http://floridahsfootball.com/internships/
Also attached is an internship flyer that you might find useful for posting of these internships positions.
If there are any other requirements we may need to apply or adhered to with your respected institution, please feel free to contact me in regards to that so we can take the appropriate steps to be in compliance.
Owner & Publisher
O: (904) 712-4735