The Florida Institute of Technology seeks a highly motivated and service-oriented individual to join the Evans Library as a User Experience Librarian. The User Experience Librarian provides front-line service at the iDesk focusing on exceptionally attentive service, research and assignment help and technology instruction to students, faculty and staff in a welcoming, helpful environment. This is a full-time faculty position with scheduled hours Tuesday – Thursday 12 – 9p.m. and Friday – Saturday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. New library school graduates encouraged to apply.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provides excellent user experience at the iDesk through hands-on individualized assistance with instruction, research and technology ensuring seamless access to all Library resources.
· As a member of the iDesk team, supports student learning, academic programs, faculty teaching and research, and the objectives of Florida Tech.
· Manages dynamic course reserve shelves to maximize student access to curriculum-specific resources.
· Acts as the iDesk liaison to the Digital Scholarship Lab (DSL) assisting students with 3D printing, modeling software, and other DSL technology and related services.
· Manages the iDesk technology lending program through additions and deletions to the collection as well as overseeing overdue and damaged technology lending items.
· Supervises and coaches student employees at the iDesk to provide optimal patron experience and satisfaction.
· Keeps current with relevant and emerging library and scholarly research trends and practices.
· Represents Florida Tech as needed at regional and national conferences and meetings.
· Serves on Library and university committees.
· ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent with relevant library experience.
· Ability to assist university community members in a dynamic information and research environment answering a myriad of questions and engaging with users face-to-face.
· Proficiency in and ability to teach advanced and targeted search techniques.
· Experience and propensity for using and teaching maker equipment technology, digital fabrication and troubleshooting IT and technology lending issues.
· Excellent customer service skills and commitment to core tenets of librarianship.
· Professional communication skills, verbal and written, as a faculty representative of the Library.
· Ability to collaborate and innovate as a team member within the Library and across campus.
About Florida Institute of Technology
Celebrating 60 years of relentlessly pursuing greatness, Florida Tech was founded in 1958 at the dawn of the Space Race that would soon define the Atlantic coast of Florida. Now the premier private technological university in the Southeast, Florida Tech is a Tier 1 Best National University in U.S. News & World Report and one of just nine schools in Florida lauded by the Fiske Guide to Colleges. Ranked among the top 5 percent of 18,000 degree-granting institutions worldwide in the 2018-19 World University Rankings and named one of just 14 U.S.-based Golden Age universities in 2018 by Times Higher Education, Florida Tech is one of the nation’s Best Value Colleges as determined by Forbes magazine in 2018. Florida Tech offers undergraduate, master’s and doctoral programs in fields of study including engineering, science, aeronautics, business, mathematics, cybersecurity, psychology, space sciences, humanities, communication and education. Learn more atwww.fit.edu.
About the Evans Library
The mission of Florida Tech Libraries is to enable our students and faculty to positively influence the society in which they live by creating an exceptional learning and discovery environment. The Libraries will enhance their support by creating and sustaining an intuitive and trusted information environment in a culturally and technologically superior setting. Florida Tech Libraries are committed to developing innovative services, programs, spaces, strategies, and systems that promote discovery, dialogue, learning, and the nourishment of the human spirit.
To apply for this position, send (1) a detailed cover letter addressing how your experience matches the qualifications, (2) a curriculum vitae, and (3) names and contact information, including email, mail, and phone number, of at least three references to Angela Taylor, Director, Enabling Infrastructure (email@example.com).