Penn Libraries WIC-EC Program Intern
Availability: one academic year position currently open
Hours: 20 hours per week, including regular weekly weekend and evening shifts. Interns work both in the Weigle Information Commons at the Van Pelt-Dietrich Library Center and the Education Commons. Both the Commons provide a variety of services for undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty and the campus community.
Reporting to the WIC Director, interns take on the following duties as assigned (after a training period):
- Develop and present workshops with hands-on training on Mac and PC laptops on software including titles listed below.
- Assist students individually and in small-groups on software including titles listed below.
- Guide patrons on research, graphic design, scanning and general use of library devices and facilities.
- Conduct publicity, outreach and social media activities to promote programming around campus.
- Organize guest presentations by individuals with specific software expertise.
- Develop and maintain expertise in several software programs.
- Produce tutorial and handout materials in support of workshops.
- Assist with staffing of the main desks in the two Commons (occasionally, as needed).
- Enrollment in a graduate degree program in Library or Information Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a related field is required.
- Applicants must be available to work on weeknights and weekends on a semi-regular basis.
- Excellent presentation, teaching, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills. Strong public services orientation.
- Attention to detail and ability to juggle multiple tasks, learn quickly, and take initiative.
- Substantial expertise required with Microsoft Excel. Expertise is preferred on a variety of software titles including Latek, Papers, Mendeley, Canvas, Microsoft Access, MATLAB and statistical software. Must be willing and capable of quickly learning new software skills in response to patron needs.
- Experience, or motivation to gain experience in, graphics, multimedia, and Web authoring applications desirable.
- Prior academic research experience helpful.
In order to maintain program consistency, we expect a commitment of at least one full year.
To apply, please submit a resume and letter of interest to the attention of:
Please write “WIC-EC Program Intern” in the subject line.