Charlotte Maguire Medical Library
Graduate Assistant Position
The Maguire Medical Library is one of the leading digital medical libraries in the United States and supports primarily the medical curriculum and research objectives of the Florida State University College of Medicine (FSU COM). As the frontline of the library, the public services graduate assistant is often the first contact with library users both on- and off-campus. The graduate assistant responds to inquiries by phone, email, and in-person, and works closely with the rest of the library team to provide access to high-quality, relevant, and current information to library users.
• Start Date: Friday, August 28, 2015
• Hours Required: 20 hours per week; 15 weeks
• Hourly Rate for Compensation: $12.00
• Tuition waiver for 9 credit hours included
• Supervisor: Erica Heasley, 645-6517; Erica.Heasley@med.fsu.edu
• Enrolled for at least 9 credit hours in the FSU School of Library and Information Studies Masters or Ph.D. program for the 2015-2016 calendar year (fall, spring, and summer)
• Maintain a 3.0 GPA every semester in accordance with SLIS tuition waiver requirements
• Able to commute to Tallahassee main campus
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
• Strong commitment to customer service
• Willingness to learn and acquire new skills in a changing environment
• Experience using the Windows 7 operating system and the Microsoft Office 2010 and 2013 (Word, Excel, Outlook). Note: A work sample exercise may be given.
• Reliable, personally responsible, and able to commit to a dedicated work schedule with consistency and punctuality
• Prior customer service or help desk experience
• Experience working in libraries
• Interest in reference, circulation, and instructional services
• Interest in working in a medical/health sciences library
• Interest in working in a digital library
Assist on- and off-campus users in the use of library services and resources, conduct phone and email communications, process interlibrary loan requests, manage circulation
and library deliveries, troubleshoot resource/website access issues, work on special projects, and perform additional office duties as needed.
• Cover letter describing professional goals and qualifications
• Résumé with three professional references
• Email documents in PDF format to Erica Heasley at Erica.Heasley@med.fsu.edu.
• Application deadline: July 31, 2015